The River

The River

Monday, January 9, 2012

Blog 2

There are many different situations that we as a people may find ourselves in where we are confronted with stereotypical jokes that may cause us to become uncomfortable. On the other hand some people use the racist sense of humor as an empowering tool, for their gain.
The most common stereotypical joke that I have been around are jokes used to perpetuate racist stereotypes.  The first place that comes to mind is the local bar down the street where I frequent every once in awhile for dinner or a drink. In this establishments atmosphere is predominantly white and is a long cry from being politically correct. The reason I bring this up is, when I’m in there,  I hear all sorts of racial and ethnic jokes that are offensive however I feel as if I’m supposed to laugh because I am surrounded by my neighbors and peers. In my opinion they do this to because they think it’s always been that way around their and it always will be, not thinking about the damage its causing. In this kind of situation there is nothing I can really due to try and stop the topic of discussion.
Sometimes I am confronted with stereotypical jokes and humor where a different race or ethnicity from mine is using in a stereotypical degrading way regarding themselves. Just like the Youtube video we watched where the “black man” was upset because the “white man” was laughing at the “black” jokes.  This is a fine line and one must be careful how they handle it because if you laugh it may be offending. Generally if you know the person well enough for them to tell racist or ethnically charged comments or jokes about themselves you are ok to laugh with them. I’m saying this with the assumption that the person who is telling the joke is a close friend of mine.
There are some situations where it is flat out inappropriate to say any kind of racial or ethnic stereotype regardless of the situation. One example that comes to mind is when I am coaching my hockey team composed of fourteen to eighteen year olds who are like sponges to anything I say. I make a point neither to say nor allow any type of joke, comment, and phrase regarding race or ethnicity. The work place is another situation that has any room for any of the stereotypical BS, In fact many jobs deem that kind of vocabulary grounds for termination.
After writing and thinking about the subject regarding when and when is not a good time to humor upon stereotypes, I’ve come to the conclusion that there really never should be an appropriate time or place. I mean come on ethnic jokes truly exploit ethnic stereotypes and should be considered racist and offensive. Avoiding situations and crowds where stereotypical vocabulary is used might be the best option.

No comments:

Post a Comment